Monday, October 31, 2005

Namespacery

Three core namespaces:

  • VydeEngine: also known as the Jeff Engine, or the Object01 Engine. This is the part of the project where I try my hand at writing a game engine that could conceivably handle any game I throw at it. It'll handle all interaction with video, audio, and input, and contain any of the abstraction layers I decide to use for whatever APIs I employ.
  • VydeNet: this part is the most up-in-the-air. It'll contain classes that act as the underpinnings of the networking that will (?) connect Vyde clients to either Vyde servers or other clients. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a web-enabled distribution system of my own design.
  • VydeCore: this one has the Vyde game in it. All the game classes, all the logic, and rules of the universe. VydeCore would, ideally, be applicable to any other game engine, should id or Valve decide that Vyde is worth buying, of course.

I've been hunting for a good book on game engine development. And I mean real game engine development: textbook kinda stuff; architecture, OOA, patterns, etc. Hopefully somebody out there has some recommendations, 'cause the ones on Amazon et al. are kinda all over the place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home